Tuesday, August 24, 2010

04: 20 Questions

"Wow, it smells great in here New York," Kyle said as he walked in to the kitchen holding a bottle of wine.
"Don't you knock? And what's with calling me New York?"
"And the New York attitude too! Yes I knocked but you didn't answer so I came in and in my world we have nick names; everybody has a nick name and I haven't figured out what else to call you yet. You don't like New York?"
"Well...not really."
"Do you have a nick name you want me to call you?"
"Yeah, wait no."
"Which is it?"
"Most people call me Elle. My brothers call me Elly belly and if you ever call me that I will be forced to kill you; but other than that...nope, no nick name."
"BORING! What part of New York are you from?"
"The Bronx."
"Should've known. That will have to do for now until I figure something else out; so what's for dinner?"
"Do you ever finish one thought before moving on to the next?" I laughed. "I have no idea what to make of you."
"The most important thing you need to know is that what you see is what you get. I don't beat around the bush, I don't sugar coat things so I won't hurt your feelings, and I will not lie to you to make you feel good. I tell it like it is and I don't believe in lying; if you don't like it, too bad."
"Well then...shall we eat?"

Dinner passed by with quiet, comfortable conversation; nothing too heavy as Ellery had enough psychoanalysis at breakfast. And the view...her dining room table was in front of those floor to ceiling windows. She honestly felt like she was eating dinner in a postcard.

When they were finished eating Kyle brought the dishes to the kitchen as Ellery started to fill the sink with water.
"The place comes with a dishwasher you know?" Kyle said.
"I know, but I like to do dishes and there's not that many; if I left them in the dishwasher they could be sitting there for a week."
Kyle looked at her with a puzzled look on his face. "Okay, then I'll dry."

Was he even serious? I spent everyday of my life washing dishes and not once; not once did anyone ever offer to help me! It was an unspoken rule in my house that anything to do with the kitchen was 'women's work'. Usually my mother was exhausted from doing the household chores and cooking dinner so the dishes fell on me. I spent my childhood/teenage years watching my brothers hang out with their friends or girlfriends after school while I helped mom finish dinner only for them to scarf down their meals and head right back outside to their friends while I washed, dried, and put away the dishes of seven people. Unfortunately for me the man I chose to fall in love with also subscribed to the same old fashioned views.

"It's okay, I'm used to doing dishes, you don't have to help."
"But I want to so just say thank you and show me where the dish towels are."
"Thanks and third drawer down. Sorry, I'm just not used to someone offering to help."
"Well if you haven't noticed by now, things are different here. You're not in New York anymore Ellery, so let the chip on your shoulder go and enjoy your new atmosphere," Kyle smiled kindly.

With the dishes done, they retired to the living room with their wine.
"So you seem to think you have me all figured out but I know nothing about you except the fact that you play hockey and are quite possibly the nicest guy I've ever met..."
"Ugggh," he cut her off.
"What?"
"Nice? Seriously? Saying a guy is nice is like the kiss of death. That tells him that he has no chance in hell with you."
"But you have a girlfriend."
"So! That doesn't mean that I don't want to think that you think I'm the sexiest guy you've ever met and it's taking every ounce of strength you have not to rip my clothes off and have your way with me!"

Ellery was laughing hysterically by now.
"Sorry Kyle, you're right. You are in fact the sexiest man I have ever met and I don't know how much longer I will be able to refrain from ripping your clothes off. There; satisfied?" she laughed.
"That hurts Bronx. I am deeply wounded."
"Now that I know you do in fact have an ego, tell me more about you."
"I don't have an ego, and I want to know more about you; I must solve this mystery."
"Okay then, we will alternate asking questions about each other and we both have to answer honestly before asking the next question. We go until we run out of things to ask, deal?"
"Why not. I'll even let you go first."

E: Where are you from?
K: Orangeville, Ontario.
E: Bronx, New York obviously.

K: Family?
E: My father Patrick, brothers Danny, Mark, Matty, and Patty all New York City firefighters as are my 13 cousins Shawn, Mike, Rory, Joe, Bobby, Patrick, Luke, John, Jerry, Sam, Shane, and Tommy. I am the only girl born in three generations of my family and the only one not to become a firefighter. My mom's name is Catherine and she is quite literally a saint.
K: Holy shit. Umm I have a younger brother Kevin. He plays hockey too but still in college, my dad's name is Jon and my mom is Carol. I can't believe your ENTIRE family are firefighters!

E: Ah ah ah, no comments only questions and answers. Favourite colour?
K: green
E: orange

K: Favourite food?
E: anything Mexican
K: steak and baked potato

E: Favourite band and song?
K: Metallica; Enter Sandman
E: You are such a guy! I can't pick just one of either but I guess if I had to pick a band it would be Bon Jovi - can't pick a song I have way too many favourites.

K: Favourite movie?
E: Gone With the Wind.
K: The Godfather.

E: 3 things you would take with you if you were stranded on a desert island?
K: My hockey stick, my journal, and my ipod.
E: You have a journal? Umm, my ipod, my books, and a picture of my family.

K: Favourite book?
E: Again, can't pick just one but The Great Gatsby and Gone With the Wind and Eat, Pray, Love.
K: Anything by John Grisham


K: Favourite way to spend a rainy day?
E: In my pjs with a great novel and a glass of wine or curled up under a blanket watching a classic movie.
K: You really like the old stuff huh? Sleeping or writing in my journal.

E: Favourite thing to do on a date?
K: Anything outdoors; bike ride or skiing.
E: Used to be a carriage ride through Central Park or skating at Rockerfeller Centre; now I don't know what it would be; a hike in the mountains?

K: Favourite word?
E: Ridiculous or rutabaga.
K: Shameful.

E: Article of clothing you could not live without?
K: Skates.
E: That's not clothing. The wool sweater my grandmother knit for me.

K: What do you do for a living?
E: Teach second grade.
K: Wow, you're a teacher? I never would have guessed. Mine's obvious.

E: What would you be doing if you didn't have your current job?
K: Probably something to do with sports; a physiotherapist or something.
E: Fashion designer or writer.
K: Well aren't you full of surprises?

K: How did you see your life turning out when you were a kid?
E: I always thought I'd be a teacher and when I got married I'd have six kids and stay home with them.
K: Old fashioned but okay. I always knew I'd play hockey.
E: And?
K: And...I do.
E: What about a family?
K: I guess. Never really thought about it much. I guess I'll probably settle down at some point.

E: How long have you been with your girlfriend and what's her name?
K: Almost 2 years and Jennifer.
E: Where did you meet?
K: Oh no! We seem to be getting away from the rules of the game. Your turn to answer.
E: I don't have a girlfriend.
K: Very funny. Boyfriend?
E: Nope.

Kyle noticed the expression on Ellery's face change and he knew it was now or never.

K: When did you break up?

Ellery was silent. She started to shake just thinking about rehashing her past with a virtual stranger. But he wasn't; not really. Though they'd only known each other for a mere 24 hours she felt more comfortable and safe with Kyle than she had with anyone else in her life; including her brothers.

E: Shawn. His name was Shawn and he was the love of my life, my best friend and my fiancee. We broke up six months ago; the night before our wedding.
The tears started falling without Ellery even noticing; and although it was a warm August evening, she was trembling. Kyle took the blanket of the back of the couch and wrapped it around her shoulders leaving his arm there as well. He hoped that would urge her to continue.
Taking his cue, she snuggled in against his side and let it all out.

E: 9/11 hit us all pretty hard. None of the boys took it well; they all lost brothers. None of them were the same ever again. Shawn wouldn't let anyone help him deal, he just shut everyone out, including me. He started drinking...alot, he even got suspended from duty. But I stayed with him and did whatever I could to help him; I was there when he called anytime night or day, I took a leave of absence from work to care for him and be with him any way I could. He mostly wanted me beside him, silent; that's the way he wanted it; except when it came to our...love life. He'd changed. There was nothing romantic about it; he became rough, almost violent. One night he hurt me so badly I was bruised and crying and it was like a light bulb switched on. He stopped immediately and didn't lay another hand on me. Two weeks later he was back to his old self and he asked me to marry him in front of my entire family. It was perfect; life was perfect again, I had my old Shawn back, I went back to work and we were planning our wedding. We had agreed not to sleep together again until our wedding night; I thought it was partly because of tradition and partly because of what had happened. The night of the rehearsal dinner, I caught him fucking my best friend/maid of honour in the public washroom and found out it had been going on for a year. I called off the wedding and that was that. My brothers took care of Shawn so much so that he had to transfer to a station in Jersey. I finished out the school year and then packed up and moved here. The concert last night was because I found some old pictures while unpacking and I realized that exactly six months ago at that time I would have been married and celebrating at my reception but instead I was all alone in a strange city. Then you banged on my door and the rest is history.

Kyle was a little surprised by Ellery's revelations. He had suspected a bad break up, but nothing quite like she'd just shared with him.

K: Ellery, I am sooooo sorry, I didn't know...
E: Don't! Don't do that! That's exactly why I didn't want to talk about it. I am so sick of everybody giving me that look of pity. I don't want your pity! I don't deserve to be pitied, it's my own fault. I should have known something was up.

K: What he did was NOT your fault! He was the asshole Elle; he hurt you; he made those choices; it is NOT YOUR FAULT!

Kyle wrapped her in a hug and hoped that his words had gotten through to her. She would never admit it; at least not yet but, she in fact felt like a huge burden had been lifted from her shoulders just by letting it out to someone who wasn't her family.

"So there you have it Dr. Phil, that's me in a nutshell," she chuckled. "The only man I ever loved broke my heart and ruined me for all other men. I will never fall in love again. What do you have to say about that?"

He pulled her in close to him and kissed her forehead and said "I'm fresh out of Dr. Phil-isms but I say it's really too bad you feel that way because I think I know the perfect guy for you."

2 comments:

  1. i love them already (:
    i can't wait to see how she continues to open up to him!

    ReplyDelete