Sunday, August 1, 2010

03: Breakfast or therapy?

So, I don't know if there's anyone out there reading this, but if there is, let me know what you think. I'd like to know if it's worth my time to write it or not.
Cheers!
~B~






"Good morning New York."
"Ugh, what's so good about it?"
"Not a morning person huh?"
"I am actually," I replied locking my apartment door, "just not today."
"Drank too much last night eh?"
"You could say that. So where are we going anyway?"
"Depends. You hungry or just want coffee?"
"I could eat."
"Great! I know just the place."

We drove in virtual silence; the radio humming quietly in the background. t wasn't an awkward silence; like last night I just felt a sense of comfort around Kyle. I took the opportunity to gaze out the window and take in the beautiful scenery all around me. A few minutes later we pulled up to this diner that was straight out of the 50's.
"Rosie's Diner?" I asked hesitantly.
"Best coffee and best breakfast in town...I promise."

We walked in and I swear just about everyone in the diner yelled "Quince!" It was like walking into Cheers and everyone yelling "Norm!"
"Come here often?" I asked.
"Something like that," he chuckled as he gave a generic wave to the patrons in the diner.
We took a booth in the far corner of the restaurant and the waitress brought over a single menu and placed it on the table in front of me.
"Mornin' Kyle," the cute little waitress purred. "You're out and about bright and early this morning," she continued while shooting me an evil glare.
"You know me Marissa; I like to get an early start."
"Oh I know you alright! You gonna have your regular this morning?"
"Yes please."
"And for you," she asked in a much harsher tone.
"Umm...I don't know..."
"I recommend the french toast or the Denver omelet," Kyle suggested.
"Sure, I'll go with the omelet."
"Great," she said a touch sarcastically. "I'll be right back with your coffee," she grinned and winked at Kyle.

"Wow! That wasn't very obvious," I said.
"What?"
"Seriously? She was blatantly flirting with you and not very happy that I'm here with you. She was down right rude to me!"
"Marissa is harmless. She has a little crush on me that's all. She's just a kid."
"Kyle, I don't think..."
"Here's your coffee, two milk on the side, no sugar. Are you having coffee mame?"
I despised it when people called me mame and cringed at the word.
"Yes please."
"Cream or sugar?"
"No thank you."
She filled our mugs and left.
"Black eh? Makes sense."
"What does that mean?"
"Nothing. Just that you drink black coffee so people will think your tough because for some reason you're trying to hide a sensitive side, that's all."
"Wow, thanks for the analysis Dr. Phil. I thought we were having breakfast not a therapy session."
"Depends. Maybe you need a therapy session?"
"Why would you even say that?" I asked getting very annoyed.
"Just an observation. It's kind of a habit. I like watching people and trying to figure them out. You are kind of like...an open book."
"Oh really? I can't wait to hear this! So tell me Dr. Quincey, what do you think you know about me?"
"Okay, but you can't get mad. I don't judge I just observe and report, deal?"
"Sure, why the hell not."
"Okay, like I said, you have a tough exterior, probably because you had to growing up. You don't let anyone see your sensitive side unless you feel completely comfortable around them, which I'm guessing is reserved for your family. You are very cautious around people, especially new people, and you really make them earn your trust; even then you have a hard time trusting people. You moved out here because you're running from something or someone, and judging from the horrific, man hating concert last night it's a boyfriend or ex boyfriend now. Whatever happened was intense enough to make you up and move half way across the country to get away from him. How'd I do?"

I stared at him in utter disbelief. How did this guy that I met less than 12 hours ago, know so much about me? And why was I our with a guy I haven't even known for 12 hours?
As I opened my mouth to speak my phone rang. I looked to see who it was and saw that it was Patty.
"Sorry," I said, "I have to take this." I excused myself and went outside.
"Hey Patty, what's up?"
"Just seeing how your first night went. So...?"
"Umm, shaky start but ended up...nice."
"Nice? You don't use the word nice. What the hell's going on?"
"Nothing. Look, this isn't a good time, I'm about to have breakfast so can I call you back later?"
"I'm sure your bowl of honey nut cheerios will wait, I want to know what you're trying to hide from me."
"I'm not having cheerios. I'm at a restaurant and I have to go."
"You don't go out to eat by yourself, you always say you feel sorry for people who have to eat alone and you don't want anyone to feel sorry for you."
"Patty, we'll talk later, I gotta..."
"OH MY GOD! Who are you having breakfast with?"
"No one."
"It's a guy isn't it? You haven't even been there a whole day yet!"
"It's not like that. He's my neighbour and he's just showing me where to get a good cup of coffee."
"Bullshit!He wants you. If he was just being nice he would have just given you directions; if he takes you himself he wants something. Be careful Elly belly; you're not exactly in a good mindset right now."
"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll call you later," I snapped.

When I got back to the table our food was there and Kyle had waited for me to get back before staring to eat. 'That's kind of gentlemanly' I thought.

"Family checking up on you eh?"
"Okay, seriously. How do you do that?" I asked placing my napkin on my lap.
"I told you, I just know people."
"Not good enough. I want to know what you see that made you think my family is checking up on me."
"When you came back in you were visibly flustered, almost frustrated. From experience, usually only family can get under your skin that fast."
I didn't respond, just began eating.
"Oh my god! This is the best omelet I've ever had!"
"Told ya."
"So, you think you know so much about me, tell me something about you."
Just as the words left my mouth a young boy approached our table with something in his hand.
"Umm...excuse me Mr. Quincey, I'm sorry to bother you but could I have your autograph?" the boy asked shyly.
AUTOGRAPH? Why is this kid asking for Kyle's autograph?
"Sure bud. There you go," Kyle said handing the boy back his hat. He didn't say anything; just went back to eating. Eventually he noticed I was just staring at him.
"What?" he asked between bites.
"So, you walk in here and everyone greets you like you're Norm from Cheers, the waitress is practically throwing herself at you, people keep looking at us like they're spying on us, and now a kid asks for your autograph. Who the hell are you?" I said a little louder than I intended.
"I'm Kyle, you're Ellery and we..."
"Don't be coy with me please. Why is some kid asking for your autograph?"
"Do you like hockey?"
"Answer the damn question!"
"I am. Do you like hockey?"
"Not really why?"
"Well have you ever watched hockey, or been to a game?"
"No."
"Would you want to; go to a game I mean?"
"I'm confused. What does that have to do with a kid asking you for your autograph?"
"Have you heard of the Avalanche?"
"Yes of course I've heard of an avalanche!"
"Not an avalanche," he laughed. "The Avalanche. The Colorado Avalanche; you know, the hockey team?"
"Uh...yeah...I...guess...so?"
"I play for them."
"You're...a...hockey...player?"
I couldn't really wrap my brain around what he was telling me. A hockey player? Like, aren't they kind of famous?
"So...you play hockey? For a living?"
"Yes."
"So then...you're kind of...famous?"
"I really don't like that word, and it's not completely accurate. Famous people are known everywhere; I'm more well known, but mostly just around the cities I've played in."
"Oh. Why didn't you tell me?"
"It's not something I generally lead with...hey I'm Kyle and I play in the NHL. That's a little pompous. Not my style."
"Good to know."
"Being totally honest, it's hard to know if people want to be your friend because they actually like you or because of who you are and what you might be able to do for them, so if someone; like you for example, doesn't know who I am, I don't tell them right away."
"That must be tough."
"It's comes with the territory," he shrugged.
"Still. I kind of know how that feels. My whole life, I never knew if girls were trying to be friends with me for me or if they were trying to get close to my brothers."
"So you have brothers eh?"
"Mmm hmm four. All older."
"Baby of the family; I should have known."
"I'm surprised you didn't, don't you have me all figured out already?" I grinned.
"Touché."
"So do you have plans for the day or do you want to come to the rink with me?"
"I really should finish unpacking, I hate leaving things unfinished."
"Okay so how 'bout this; I'll take you home so you can finish unpacking, I'll go to practice I'll come by your place later and I'll let you cook me dinner?"
I suddenly got a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.
"Too presumptuous?"
"No...umm...too...I mean it kind of sounds like a...like a date and I...I can't..."
Kyle placed his hand gently on top of mine and that sense of comfort seemed to envelope my entire body.
"I know you are not in that place right now," he assured. "Besides, I have a girlfriend; I'm just being neighbourly. I thought you might need a friend out here."
"Well seeing as how I don't know a soul out here and you have been nice enough to share where to get good coffee from...why not! What would you like for dinner?"
"I'm easy. I'm sure whatever you make will be delicious."
"What makes you think I can cook?"
"Just a hunch."
"Can I ask a favour?"
"Can you PLEASE leave Dr. Phil at home?"
"I'll try, but I do love a good puzzle, and you my dear, have many hidden pieces to uncover."

8 comments:

  1. I like it! Please, keep writing and I'll keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep going I really like this story. I can't wait for more updates :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here and reading! I'm loving it so far, you had me chuckling through most of this, although the whole "Norm from Cheers" reference called for an out burst of laughter, I love that show! Great Chapter, hope you decide to continue it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may not be about Sid but its already shaping up to be a great story :) Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm reading it!
    can't wait until they have dinner together

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep going please. And not to sound like a total idiot but I didnt know about anyone but Sid until I started reading now I have the whole Pens roster memorised !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your story please keep writing, I am reading it!!

    ReplyDelete